Sunday, June 10, 2007

Slugs In Love

Everyone loves lovers.

These slugs are in love.

I am not a slug lover, but, these two are sweet.

And they aren't out in the garden eating my lettuce.

They are in my kitchen, in a jar, eating lettuce.

These slugs have manners.

They were found by a sweet, little girl, who loves finding things that move without batteries.

She asked me to keep them for a while.

How could I say no?

They are called Herbert and Hermione.

Hermione escaped for a few days - running free somewhere in the kitchen.

I found her in the sink this morning, and was able to reunite these affectionate gastropods.

There is a fine line between pests and pets. I have not used slug pellets or any chemicals in my
garden for years now. I grow lettuce in raised beds, protected by an occasional sprinkling of salt
and eggshells on the gravel around. I do get slug and snail damage, but as I grow more than we can eat, I am happy to share.

Carry on loving.

Myrtle x


1 comment:

lelein said...

Bravo Myrtle!