Thursday, September 28, 2006

I love pumpkins


I love pumpkins. Any pumpkins.

I love to look at them, carve lanterns out of them, chop them up, roasting them along with
their little seeds. I am Myrtle, Myrtle, pumpkin eater.


When I first came to England, long ago, the sight of a pumpkin would make me so very homesick. There were fields and fields of pumpkins near where I grew up.

But, now, pumpkins are everywhere. I am in heaven. I wish I could say that I grew my lovely, green pumpkin, above, but, no. I got it from a local farm. I have never had much luck growing pumpkins here. Even my squashes got a form of mildew this year, the fruit never grew to a significant size. I had to rip them all out last week.

Anyway, back to my stomach. The green ones are my favourite to eat - the flesh is bright orange and loaded with flavour. I will peel it, chop it, drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle a bit of chunky salt over it, then whack it in the oven at a very high temperature until it is nice and brown on the edges.

Yum.


I also love figs, but not as much as pumpkins. These are in the garden, I hope they ripen before it gets too cold. This has been a good year for figs.


It has also been a great year for our apple trees - but we ate them all before I took any photos.
The apples, that is, not the trees.

Must dash, early start tomorrow.

Myrtle x


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... the bluegreen pumpkin at the top is gorgeous! Hard to believe that it's tasty, too--doesn't quite seem fair to the other pumpkins that is has both somehow... :)

earlysnowdrop said...

Amazing color on the pumpkin.