Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I Love Tea


I love tea. This is convenient, as I live in England. But, fond as I am of a strong cup of 'Builder's Brew', I especially love the delicate flavour of white, green, jasmine, oolongs, pu -erhs - just about anything made from Camellia sinensis.

Camellias have grown outside here in Cornwall for over 200 years. About five years ago, a local estate, Tregothnan, near Truro, decided to have a go at growing its own tea. They have thwarted by snails, slugs, the pheasants, rabbits and deer, all of whom wanted to nibble the raw product.

The harvest has been small, but it is early days, and things are looking very promising. If they succeed, they will have the first tea garden in Europe. Good luck to them.

I first read about Tregothnan, as well as Jasmine Pearls in a magazine from a Sunday paper, some time last year. Jasmine Pearls make a divine drink, that is almost impossible to describe. Let's just say that it is very beautiful. It is also very expensive and difficult to find.

I did find some some at Wholefoods in North Carolina (whilst on holiday) and have found it on the Internet. It is worth giving it a try.

More about Tregothnan, tea, pearls and dogs (don't ask) later.

Myrtle x x x


1 comment:

lisa said...

Mmmmmm...good luck with your "Jasmine expiriment"....sounds yummy if it all works out.