Thursday, August 03, 2006

In the Evening

In the evening, I went out into the Garden.

I surveyed this mixed, round bed. There is so much going on in it, it needs thinning. The vigorous ones are smothering the dainty ones . . . But, the Agapanthus looks fantastic.


I also harvested my first beans - purple. I cannot remember the name and have thrown away the packet (shame on me). I only took a small handful - they were delicious.

Nicotiana Flowering Tobacco

I love Nicotiana, and was so happy to receive a few plants from a friend a while ago. I was even happier to see it blooming this evening - it smells divine.


Nicotiana box


And, finally, I planted this small shrub a number of years ago - and cannot remember its name (shame on me again). Any ideas????



P.S. Thanks to Carol of May Dreams Gardens. You are absolutely right - it is all coming back to me now. I must keep more accurate records.

Carol has recognized my mystery, flowering shrub as Summersweet, or, as it is known in the UK, Sweet Pepper Bush, Clethra alnifolia. Thanks for your help. I love your blog and am envious of your tools.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your mystery plant is Summersweet, Clethra alnifolia. It's also called Sweet Pepper Bush. Does that sound familiar?

Your gardens look great.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why, but I have come back to those purple beans a couple of times now. I don't think I have ever seen color like that in a bean. If you ever remember what type they are, please let me know.