Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Whistle While you Work


After complaining that I haven't been spending enough time in the Garden, today I spent most of the day in it. Martin cut back a euphorbia that was bigger than a VW Beetle. We cut a tunnel through the under-bush of the middle bed.

And I started to free Big Banana from the clinging branches of an overly amorous buddleja. Buddlejas are very pretty and very friendly, but be warned. They are all a bit psycho. They never seem to realize when enough is enough.
Anyway, couldn't finish that job as I need a bigger saw.

It's been a great day.


This wisteria is treating us to a second flush of blooms.
I love you, Wisteria.


Welcome Back

Whilst tunneling through the middle bed, I found this brave little Echinops, Globe Thistle. Haven't seen him for a long time.



Don't know how this photo ended up like this, but I thought it was hilarious. My friends tell me I need to get out more.


Mystery Plant Number 2

And, finally, another mystery plant is flowering. Again, I remember planting it years ago, but cannot remember its name and have yet to locate it in my books. Any guesses?


P.S. Thanks to Melissa and Lisa for suggesting both Solanum and Brugmansia. It could be a Solaum, but I am still unable to find it in any of my books. It does look like a Brugmansia, it's true, but it is too small. Brugmansias (or Daturas, as they were once known) are much bigger. Thanks girls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look like a solanum, but that's the best I can do!

Anonymous said...

Mystery flower almost looks like "Brugmansia", or angel trumpet. I can only grow it as a houseplant in U.S. Wisconsin-z4, but maybe it can live outdoors for you. See www.valleygrow.com for pics.

Field Notes said...

Great gardening blog! I love your photos. Perhaps you can answer a question for me, an avid but novice gardener - How do I make a cutting of wisteria and get it to grow?

Anonymous said...

looks kinda iochroma-ish to me

Erik said...

acnistus australis; I have the blue and white versions growing here in dublin