Thursday, August 03, 2006

Japanese Garden

No, these are not the Simpsons, they are giant Koi from the Japanese Garden and Bonsai Centre in St Mawgan, near Newquay. It is a fabulous place, if you like Japanese Gardens. I love it. This was our excursion for the day. The children complained all the way there, but were very impressed by the huge fish, fat Buddhas stuffed with coins around every corner as well the graceful, miniature Bonsai trees everywhere. Alas, I had forgotten (again) to charge my camera, so these are all the photos I could get.

Show Trees

Zen Garden

Moss Garden

Garden Gate

Laughing Buddha (dream man number 3)

This is a little Chinese Elm tree I brought home in order to practice and learn the art of Bonsai. I am told the cultivation of Bonsai is 70% art and 30% horticulture. I have not had much luck with it in the past.

But, the owner of the garden was very helpful and gave me lots of tips and advice. First and foremost, use rainwater if you live in a hard water area and don't let them dry for more than a day or two. I will keep you posted on how my Chinese Elm and I get on. Wish us luck.

No comments: