Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Slugs

I love many things.

Slugs are not one of them.

This is due to the swift damage they inflict on tiny, tender, or tasty plants: lettuces, lilies, lupins, dahlias, delphiniums, hostas, horseradish and sunflowers. And that’s just for starters.

Slugs are voracious, feeding machines. They are fierce and focused. They roam gardens in large packs, terrorizing their victims by night. They have a one track mind – food.

I know they cannot help themselves. It’s as if they have an eating disorder. They can’t just nibble a few leaves and go home, under a rock somewhere. My garden is a Smorgasbord, an All You Can Eat All Night establishment.

They have no shame. You will never see a skinny slug in Cornwall.

They can achieve mammoth proportions. I once met a big, beafy slug, six inches long. When I tried to take his photo, he grabbed my camera, ripped out the film and told me to get lost. I didn’t have to be told twice.

Even the cat is afraid of them.

Some slugs eat meat. I don’t know how I reached the age of 40, thinking that slugs were vegetarians.

I had nightmares for a week after hearing that. Just think, if you died suddenly in Death Valley, your body might be eaten by some sort of carrion eating bird or a scorpion or two. But if I pop my socks in my own back garden, with no one finding me for a day or two, it will be the slugs who get me.

They are also cannibals. I have heard that if you snip a slug, his mates rush over to finish him off. I have never seen this spectacle myself, but nothing surprises me anymore.

They don’t like me. I can tell. I don’t blame them really. I have resorted to every method known to man to reduce their presence in my garden. I may have won the odd skirmish, but they have won the war. There is just too many of them.

But hope does spring eternal.

It is an annual traditional in my garden for the slugs to eat ALL my sunflowers.

But fool that I am, I was weak and bought a few more at the garden centre a few weeks ago.

I have heard and read a lot about coffee being an effective deterrent – I have included a few links if anyone is interested.

Earth Easy

New Scientist

Self Sufficient - ish

I have put the plants into pots. I have put them up on the deck (the slugs aren’t keen on the decking). And I have been sprinkling them regularly with coffee – either a light sprinkle of instant or using the grounds from the pot. I have also sprinkled a circle of coffee around the base of the pots.

I feel as though I am protecting them from vampires. I have visions of the slugs circling my succulent baby sunflowers, hissing hideous things to them.

But, so far so good. The coffee seems to be working. I know this is very subjective and anecdotal. It is also possible that I bought some weird, genetically modified sunflowers that slugs don’t like. Maybe I will look out in the morning and find they have been cruelly cut down to their little stubs. They were about two feet high this evening when I last saw them. Wish them luck.


Not everyone dislikes slugs. I was intrigued to read that students at University of California at Santa Cruz have just elected the Banana Slug (which are gigantic and bright yellow) as their official mascot.

I know of many ways to kill a slug. I won’t use chemicals, so I have to think creatively.

Does anyone out there have horror stories of, views on or feelings for slugs? Drop me a line.

Myrtle x x x

P. S. Great photos at Middle-fork.org

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also do not like slugs. I am fortunate that for the most part, I haven't had that many problems with them, but I know that could change at any time. If you sink a small can or other shallow container in to the ground around the plants that the slugs like, so that the container opening is at ground level, and then fill it with beer (cheap beer!), the slugs will go into the beer and drown. I've tried it and it works, except you have to empty out the containers of dead slugs each day and refill them with beer at night.

Anonymous said...

You just have to get some photos of the slugs and snails in your garden next to something for scale like, I don't know....your hand! Okay, that's yucky....maybe a ruler! The ones you have are so unbelievably big! Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Santa Cruz was in People magazine back in the 80s (or was it 70s?) for wanting the banana slug as their official mascot.

I once saw two slugs getting it on~ upside down, hanging from the corner of my house's low-pitched roof by a long trail of thick mucus, whirling around and around by the weight of their bodies ~ like they were spinning from some self-made chandelier. Who knew slugs knew how to party so hard?

I've needed therapy ever since....

Anonymous said...

Here's my way to sought out that problem... being a male, grown up in africa, we had our fair share of slugs. Simply put salt on the ground or on the slug itself and watch them melt away

lisa said...

Here's a couple of solutions, neither of which may be practical, but here goes...you can border your gardens with copper strips...when the slugs cross, they get a small elecrtric shock...devious and fun...hahahaha! Ahem...anyway...the other idea is poultry...specifically guinea hens. They are very aggressive with ANY moving target (a.k.a. insects and invertibrates)...plus they can be excellent watch dogs. Only caveat-they like to roam...but pea fowl can be excellent companions...just a suggestion...

Unknown said...

I do not like slugs, and I have a whole family of them that crawl around on my front steps. Could they eat the moss on the rock steps? I have no idea, but they don't really decimate my plants so I mostly leave them alone.

For an interesting read, google "Aerial slug mating" to see pics of what Christine referred to in her comment... eeeewwww!

Anonymous said...

hi, we have ALOT of slugs in our garden (uk). They come into the house at night (through a gap under the back door) and eat cat food (meat). Also last night one of the cats had killed a shrew and left it on the patio. To our DISGUST in the morning the slugs had stripped it to the bone leaving just a skeleton. We know its the slugs as its surrounded by their slime!!

ERRRRRRGGGGGH!

Anonymous said...

Debs said...I have just been around the garden and harvested the slugs, 50 in all without lifting slabs or looking too hard. They are all about 4.5 inches in length and fat so the birds won't touch them. I have drowned them...which makes me feel bad but there are sooo many. I like what Carol said but don't waste beer! fill the container with water like a moat round a castle... that'll stop them!

Anonymous said...

From what I've read the big slugs only eat dead/decaying organic matter, so they won't harm your live plants!