Saturday, July 15, 2006

Alfred

It all started with a modest plan to have a small pool for wildlife.

Over the years I have found frogs spawning in anything available in the garden: buckets, puddles, birdbaths, teacups.. . .. I thought it was time to give them a stable, safe environment. So, we dug a pool, a home for the local, homeless frog community.

A cute, young couple moved in straight away.

But, in addition to my two, lovely lodgers, I discovered some unwelcome guests - mosquito larvae. Frogs love slugs, not larvae. I love frogs, not slugs or larvae.

I was advised to get few, small fish. I quite like fish, and fish love larvae.

We now have ten (fish, not larvae), named Maggie, Lisa, Bart, Marge, Homer, Flanders, Smithers, Millhouse, Krusty and Mr. Burns. I don't know what the larvae are called.

But, I then discovered we also have herons in the neighborhood. I had never seen one around here before, but then, I didn't have a pond full of fish before. Herons love fish.

So, I was advised to get a fake heron to guard the fish. Apparently herons are very territorial and won't land on another heron's patch.


Alfred - the plastic scare heron.

Alfred in action - guarding the Simpsons. A worthy bird.

I am not sure how I feel about Alfred yet. I quite like real herons, but don't want them eating lunch in my garden. But, aesthetically, Alfred strikes me as being just one, small notch above a pink, plastic flamingo.

Unworthy

I was also advised to get some oxygenating plants, when purchasing my larvae loving fish. It is amazing stuff, floating on water with its balloon like pouches of air.

I love floating, oxygenating plants.

Eichornia crassipes - Water Hyacinth and mosquito larvae (look very closely)


On a random note, I recently discovered that slugs love horseradish. And they were not afraid of Louis, our miniature, plastic, scare lobster. Tough luck, Louis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fish, named by myself and my sister, should be protected and safe from any seaguls and herans thanks to Alfred. Thanks Alfred. xx

Anonymous said...

alfred seems cool

my dad saw a heron in our garden snacking on our fish.

so he got a dinner plate and threw it at the heron.

he never came back