Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Jones Beach



I live in Cornwall. But, it is not where I began. I started off in New York. Long Island to be precise. I still have loads of family there - a beloved grandma, aunts, uncles and more cousins than I have fingers and toes. I love them all. (My fingers, toes AND my relatives).

I have been thinking a lot about water lately (and the ironically short supply of it in England). As it is officially summer, my mind likes to hop on a plane, back to Jones Beach, where I spent a lot of time as a child. Long Island beaches have soft, white sands, like confectionery sugar. It is perfect for making castles. There are miles and miles of beach as well as miles of boardwalk.



Depending on where you park, it can be a long walk to the water's edge. But, once near the water, all you can see is sand, sea and sky. Okay, so my childhood memories are a bit glossy and idealized. But, hey, it's cold here in Cornwall at the moment and I am a twinge homesick.


As soon as it does warm up, I shall be heading here. This is our beautiful, local beach. I hope that my children will have similar sorts of memories of this beach, no matter where they end up as adults.

Just one more gratuitous photo of a water related plant - Cornish Kelp. It makes great fertilizer.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your local beach there in Cornwall is absolutely stunning, breathtaking. I have made it my desktop backround on my computer...it trumped the photo of my puppy.

Myrtle Luma said...

Thanks - sometimes it is hard to appreciate what is on one's doorstep. Especially when I am a bit cold and homesick. But, if life is a beach or a garden, then I am quids in. x x x