Saturday, July 22, 2006

Fish Charmer

Fish Charming

Such good news!

First Born dangled her fingers in the frog pool - only to find our fish family wanted to play. They all came up to the surface like magic, nibbling the tips of her fingers.

I didn't know we had a fish charmer in the family. The Simpsons are still with us. Joy. They must have been shy when moving into their new pool. The mosquito larvae have gone. The Simpsons are doing their job. They are now eating their food. And Alfred is earning his keep as well.

The seagull family have been eating my apples, I have realized. I am annoyed, but so happy that the Simpsons are well, that I am putting out dishes of applesauce for the gulls, just as a distraction.

Then First Born started to play with the water hyacinths - marvelling at their balloon-like structure. She wanted to show them off, so here they are . . .

It is a great contrast to the collection of plants I have just picked up. Over the winter and spring, I conducted a rather (un)scientific experiment with succulents at college. I wanted to see how long they could go without water. A few of the smaller sempervivums in small pots died, but the majority survived for six months without any water. Those that went without need a bit of TLC, but here they are . . .


Survivors



And last, but not least . . .


Happy Birthday Angeles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed visiting your site. Lovely plants and human/non human garden companions. And the rant... if it seems to be happily living in the garden with me, why do visitors ask if it is a weed or not?

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Everyone has talents, right?

Anonymous said...

Yes I am a fish-charmer! U don't meet a fish-charmer everyday now do u? ;) xxx