Thursday, July 27, 2006

It's Hot Enough to Hatch a Flamingo

Chickadee

With all the dreadful news and headlines lately, I was heartened to see this headline in the Times.
This is the first lesser flamingo chick to hatch in Britain, 40 years after the birds were introduced. Flamingo experts attribute the birth to the recent heatwave, as temperatures have been comparable with the birds' native East Africa.

I may have mixed feelings about pink, plastic replicas, but this story brought a tear to my eye.

It has been hot.

I have been busy.

Busy in the Garden. I have dirt engrained into my fingers and toes.

Here are some of the things I have been doing.


Weeding and planting.


I grow salad and vegetables in raised beds. It resolves a lot of issues. Less bending over. Less weeding. With rich soil, there is no need for rows or wasted space. It is also easier to control slugs and snails - don't get me started on them. I have planted more salad greens, herbs, beetroot, carrots and squash plants at the weekend. I also have a crop of beans, tomatoes, potatoes and onions that look promising.

Bean Flowers


Radishes

Misty the Lazy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mist is gorgeous, what was she staring intently at?