Thursday, July 20, 2006

Derek the Dragonfly


This is Derek. Derek the Dragonfly.

Please hold your mirth. He was not my idea. I was even less sure of Derek, when I first met him, than I was of Alfred.

I am still coming to terms with Alfred; to me, Alfred is the ornithological version of a garden gnome. Don't get me started on garden gnomes. I will address them later.

Martin arrived unexpectedly, but not unwelcome. Martin is always welcome. He said he had a surprise. I hate surprises. Unless it is champagne and lobster, chances are I won't want to know.

Martin presented Derek. A metal dragonfly. I love most insects, in theory, but did not fall in love with Derek.

We put Derek near the frog pool - he looked out of place. Our frog pool is tiny, and he is, to put it politely, rather large. He is a good looking fella, but . . .

Derek is made of shiny metal. He is big. He is heavy. First Born said that she could tell that Alfred, our plastic, lightweight and rather timid, scare heron, was intimidated. What was I to do?

But, Howard was also here, doing valuable and essential jobs. He saw Derek and suggested that we put him on top of the greenhouse. Howard is a genius.

So, that is what we did.

Martin and Howard at work, gluing Derek to the Greenhouse.

I now love Derek. He can stay. He casts great shadows with his wings.

It's hard to tell if he is happy up there, but I sure we will soon know if there is a problem.

Thanks to Howard and to Martin. Also to the Metal Surgery of Penryn, from whens Derek came.

Derek in the afternoon.


P.S. Derek's wings are on backwards - it's true. Well spotted Melissa, I knew there was something odd that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Oh well. I will love him even more now, now that I know he is even less than imperfect.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that dragonfly is awesome! And you're right it looks perfect on top of your greenhouse. If you ever get bored you should add little motors to the wings so that they flap. It does look rather robotic.

Anonymous said...

Derek looks great on the greenhouse ... do you think he’ll be soo.o.o scary to the aphids you won’t get any more in the greenhouse ... if so you better patent the principle ‘Derek – the ultimate pest deterrent!’

Anonymous said...

He is cool the dragonfly. Do you have a plastic flamingo? I want one or two of them.I love frogs and im impressed with your frog pool. The heron and lobster are nice too. I find an irony between a plastic heron and plastic gnome. My post about Tatton Park was a dig at the RHS, knowing they banned gnomes from the flower shows.I guess you are a no gnome in the garden girl.Thanks for the comment.always nice to get them from new bloggers.

Myrtle Luma said...

Thanks for all your comments - a good friend has pointed out that his wings are on backwards - so, presumably, he cannot fly forwards. No wonder I got him so cheap.

I prefer live dragonflies, but, now that he is glued to my greenhouse, I guess he will stay. Deep down, I am pleased.