Thursday, July 20, 2006

Flock of Seagulls


I woke up early yesterday morning, to find a flock of seagulls in the Garden.


Seagulls are a nuisance. They eat rubbish, scattering it everywhere. They steal food from women and children. A marauding gull attacked a girlfriend recently - she is alive, but wouldn't come out of her house for days. Okay, okay, but she was really, really scared. He wanted her pasty and wouldn't leave her alone till he got some.

I don't like them as they like to poo on my car.

I am sorry to say, I think some of the Simpsons (our new family of goldfish) may have become a snack for the family of seagulls which live on the roof of my neighbor's house
.

Seagulls love fish. I am afraid they had been eating our Simpsons.

Alfred, our stoic, plastic scare heron, apparently doesn't 'do' seagulls. His speciality is heron-attack.

All of this makes me realize how unreasonable it is to expect to be able to attract nice, cute wildlife, without attracting some nasty ones as well. Every one and everything has to eat.

Of course, every one's opinion of what is nice, and what is a nuisance, varies. (Don't get me started on slugs). As gardeners, we often create an imbalance of local flora and fauna, by introducing non native species or using lots of chemicals. Living in harmony with nature doesn't always go to plan.


If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing.

In the evening, I was instantly heartened to see two little flashes of orange in the frog pool.

I have been unable to get any photos of them, but at least I know two of them are alive.

For now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the 2 that are alive are Ned Flanders and Maggie! xxx

Anonymous said...

At least you put up a picture of the other Flock of Seagulls... laughing at the picture almost makes up for having bad 80s music stick in my head for the rest of the day! :)

By the way, how big is your pond? Could you put some sort of wire mesh or netting just below the water surface so that the fish have a better chance?

Myrtle Luma said...

It is very small. Mesh or netting would protect the fish, but inhibit the frogs. With the shelter of the plants, that are growing quickly - I am hopeful that we will achieve a balance between fish, frogs, and birds of prey.